dtable changes causing _very_ slow startup and process-startup headache. [was Re: auto-import ld]

Hi folk,
    some background first... When I recently upgraded my source tree to
current, to pickup on my pthreads work, I found that cygwin process's
launched from non-cygwin process take up to 30 seconds to _start_
running.

A strace on the program (say df) when launched from cmd.exe shows this
 577  136584 [main] df 1764 environ_init: 0xA010F10: WINDIR=E:\WINNT
 683  137267 [main] df 1764 pinfo_init: pid 1764, pgid 1764
 416  137683 [main] df 1764 dtable::extend: size 32, fds 0x1A020090
as the last output before the delay occurs.

I haven't looked into this, as I actually thought it was some of my code
for a while, until tonight when I dropped the 4th June snapshot on, and
saw it wasn't my fault :].

A similar-in-appearance problem is occuring with binaries linked by a
patched ld.exe, (which I just installed tonight, so the first thing is
not an artifact of that). I'm trying out Paul Solovosky{I hope thats
right}'s ld-that-auto-imports.

The symptoms there are that with cygwin 1.3.2, and with the 4th June
snapshot, the trivial test case (one .dll with exported DATA and
functions, one dependant program, about 20 lines of code) locks up the
CPU at 100%. It then dies with an illegal memory access at 0x00000010.

Whats interesting about that fault is that running the test case
"client.exe" from cmd.exe/gdb/strace with the same cygwin1.dll works!.
(And cygwin already in-memory in another window.)

So, I'm really whining about 2 things, and probably should have written
two emails!.

1) dtable::extend causing large delays on startup (I have no net mapped
drives, before you ask) and
2) cygwin process initialisation killing patched-ld-linked apps that run
fine in all other respects.

=== pause during message composition ===

I just updated and rebuilt cygwin, and tried again... no joy with either
issue. I can't say why, but I have a suspicion that they are related...

Any clues?

I'll put some timeinto this in the weekend, and provide any and all
requested debug info from now until then.

Rob