Re: Local Setup Cache

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
To: <cygwin-developers@cygwin.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2001 12:39
Subject: Re: Local Setup Cache

> On Sat, Jun 30, 2001 at 09:08:59AM -0700, Michael A. Chase wrote:
> >That still leaves all those old versions laying around on the disk.  Is
> >setup.exe the right place to do the cleanup or should we try to get users
> >run something else periodically to remove them?
>
> Sorry.  I didn't answer this question.  I don't know who should handle
this.

> I guess I don't think setup.exe is the right place for it since the user
> could conceivably want to keep old versions around.  I'm really loath to
> add another "Do you want to do this?" dialog.  Does anyone think this is
> a good idea?
>
> I'm sorry that I have an opinion on this.  I know that my opinion thunders
> from the heavens and causes mere mortals to tremble* but if everyone else
> thinks that another dialog is the way to go, that's fine.
>
> If we don't distribute setup.exe maybe we should think about either
providing
> another program which manages download directories and provides package
info.
> Or, hmm, I guess the package info stuff should come from cygcheck.exe.

Well your awsomeness (or is that awfulness?), <G>  my opinion is similar,
but I figured the discussion needed to get started.

I see two competing communities.

1.  Techies.  They probably already noticed the problem and wrote something
to weed out the obsolete versions.  They are likely to be annoyed with yet
another dialog box in setup to do something they have already done.

2.  Vanilla Users.  They probably won't notice the issue until programs
start to fail because the disk where their local cache is kept is full.
Then they'll blame Cygwin for being so bloated.  They are unlikely to run
yet another maintenance program to clean things up.

Perhaps an additional radio button or check box could be added to one of the
existing dialogs.  Two possibilities that occur to me are

1.  A radio button in the second dialog box below "Install from Local
Directory" labeled "Cleanup Local Cache".

2.  A check box in "Local Package Directory" dialog box labeled "Delete
Obsolete Package Files".  If it defaults to checked, the Vanilla Users will
never have to worry about it.

As you might be able to tell from that patch I'm submitting for the choose
dialog, I'm not at all proficient at manipulating Windows resource files,
but I'd be willing to write the code that does the weeding.