Re: Problems with autoconf-2.52 testsuite using current CVS Cygwin

On Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 02:08:56PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>   I have not been explicitly adding an
> "extra" ACE for group:18: (SYSTEM) which is automatically added for new
> directories under the CVS-cygwin.)

I don't know why that happens. I have tried it and it seems to
be created by the `CreateFile' call already. But it would be too
easy if that would happen always.

I have found two cases on my system which _seem_ to be identical
but in one case, a SYSTEM ACE is created and in the other case not.

It's a mystery. The problem is that the base routine in security.cc
(alloc_sd) can't know if that's a superfluous just created ACE or
if it's an ACE explicitly created by the user. For that reason I
fear it's somewhat dangerous to drop it.

Comments?

> I fear this problem may hit more folks than just me, when 1.3.3 is
> released and Corinna's change from 7/9/2001 takes effect.  Her change
> will prevent *future* problems, but as I demonstrated, can cause
> problems under dirs created using earlier kernels...
>
> OTOH, it only affects W2K/NTFS users...

AFAICS, the problem was already existant for a long time. My
changes prevent newly created directories to propagate the
problem into the future. It just can't revert the wrong setting
from already created dirs.

Perhaps a script would be a good idea. Personally I'm pretty sure
that most users will never see that problem, though...

Red Hat, Inc.