Re: rxvt pops up console with 2001-Aug-07 shapshot

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 03:33:07PM +0900, Kazuhiro Fujieda wrote:

> > If we can't get a resolution on this, I'm going to have to back this
> > feature out.  I'm sorry.  I like the idea of the patch.  It is too
> > bad that it doesn't play well with rxvt.
>
> I'm sorry for my late response. I've tackled this problem for
> the last few days, but I couldn't find any good idea.
>
> The feature really spoils the sophisticated work for the console
> by rxvt. I agree it is backed out. I will try to find another
> way to detach the console someday.

If we only would find a way to get the information if a process
is started from a service or not.

Kazuhiro, did you find your original problem only with inetd
and cygrunsrv or even when the process has been started by
SRVANY???

I'm curious if we can't change the offending behaviour by reverting
a specific change from inetd and cygrunsrv. We already had a problem
with windows poping up when calling `net show' or similar from a telnet
session which we solved by using a patch from Egor. He suggested to
add a call to `AllocConsole()' to inetd. When I wrote cygrunsrv I just
used the same call since it had proven to be ok from my point of view.

Perhaps we should add a switch to cygrunsrv whether it should call
AllocConsole() or not?!?

Red Hat, Inc.