Re: found possible suspect for characters out of order bug

Robert Collins wrote:

> Remember the bug that keeps getting odd reports? Well I've got it
> happening regularly to me at home. I couldn't discuss it last night - no
> internet connection :[.
>
> What I think is happening is that the fhander_termios edit_line method
> is getting called as a signal. If any out of order queueing occurs with
> signals, that would cause the percieved symptoms.
>
> It only happened during heavy system load - this is an emulated machine
> - which is to say any swapping or high CPU would cause it. It also only
> appeared to occur during type-ahead occurences.
>
> I'm still unable to debug, and I've never seen this happen to my win2k
> partition (which is gotten at via reboot :} ) so what I can do is
> limited.
>
> Questions for the group though:
> Are whatever windows signals are before they hit cygwin time-order
> guaranteed?
> Are cygwin signals time-order guaranteed?
> Are signal handlers expected to be reentrant?

I remember seeing this in B18 on W95 years ago.  IIRC, it's a windows
bug not a Cygwin bug.  You can cause it to happen more readily by
editing a file on a diskette since the diskette is slower in writing
data.  I also had the problem of Caps Lock being Shift Lock instead on
the W95 box.  I found no solution to either of these.

Earnie.