Re: close to 1.3.4

On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 12:13:32PM +0400, egor duda wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Saturday, 06 October, 2001 Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com wrote:

>>>So far, I haven't been able to duplicate this.  I'm trying again with various
>>>CYGWIN= settings.
>
>CF> Ok, I duplicated it with CYGWIN=tty ntsec.
>
>oh, i should have told what options i'm using from the beginning. will
>certainly do next time.
>
>CF>  I think I've checked in a fix for the problem.
>
>i wonder if such things should be a bit more "intrusive" in debugging
>version, i.e. should we call api_fatal on errors in add_handle and/or
>mark closed? if we do, i'd be easier to write test-cases for such
>problems. it won't affect normal users, since releases are built with
>debugging code disabled.

Good idea.  I think you're right that debugging version should exit on such
errors.

In this case the error was in the tracking of open/closed handles -- the
debugging code was at fault.  It almost feels like this happens 50% of
the time.  In the other 50% the ProtectHandle stuff actually unearths valid
bugs.  So it is useful.

So, whether it is a bug in the debugging code or an actual handle botch,
it would be good to have some mechanism for making these errors fatal.
So, I guess that changing the warning to an error (change system_printf
to api_fatal) in mark closed would be a good thing.