Re: Ignore the cygwin environment variable if child of a cygwin process?

On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 08:24:57AM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
>Log a informational to syslog and obey the new setting.
>This lets users hang themselves, but still tells them about it.

That's an idea.  We could theoretically have cygcheck replay any syslog entries.

Another thing that I was thinking was that we could have mkpasswd create a
"naive-user" entry.

If this entry existed then cygwin could issue warnings about certain standard user
errors.

Using /etc/passwd for this purpose is because we're already opening the /etc/passwd
file so checking it for this record (which could be first) wouldn't be a huge
performance penalty.

The downside is that we'd slow down slightly all cygwin apps to accomodate the
unknowledgeable users.

Just a thought...