Re: Need name and functionality suggestions for a new utility

On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 03:54:54PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> so you're correct, I'm jumping at ghosts. For the record, my ftok() will
> be ok because it uses the inode number - which is the namehash.

...or the file index on NTFS drives.
Excerpt from fhandler_disk_file::fstat_helper():

  /* Assume that if a drive has ACL support it MAY have valid "inodes".
     It definitely does not have valid inodes if it does not have ACL
     support. */
  switch (has_acls () ? GetDriveType (rootdir (root)) : DRIVE_UNKNOWN)
    {
    case DRIVE_FIXED:
    [...]
      buf->st_ino = local.nFileIndexHigh | local.nFileIndexLow;
      break;
    default:
      buf->st_ino = get_namehash ();
      break;
    }

I don't know if that interferes negatively here...

BTW, what about a name for the tool which sounds that prudish and
boring that nobody uses it voluntarily?

I'm not quite sure if my English is good enough to make such a
choice, but, anyway, what about "cygtestenv" or "cygtesthelper"
or so?  Another thought is, not to announce and not to officially
document a tool.  It's just there, suddenly.  How many people will
actually notice that /bin contains, say, 245 instead of 244 tools?

Red Hat, Inc.