setup.ini - some points

What is the consensus on the meaning of the 'base' category?

Is it a) the _absolute minimum_ to run shell scripts and invoke
utilities, or b) is it the core install for a comfortable environment?

if a) then
IMO [bash, diff, possibly findutils, gdbm, possibly libncurses5&6, man,
possibly ncurses, possibly readline, possibly terminfo, textutils and
which ] should not be listed as 'base'.

if it's b) then I propose we have the 'Required' category reinstated,
and the current base members (minus the list above) are added to
Required.

Second, we need a policy, that _no_ pre or post install scripts are
needed for the packages in the (if a) base else Required) category.

Whats this in aid of?
pre/post install scripts will fail if everything needed to run them
isn't installed. Dpkg has a neat capability to defer running the
configuration scripts until everything needed is installed, but we don't
have that yet. I'm not sure if rpm has that capability or not (I don't
recall seeing it, things used to simply fail to install).

So, to prevent this, the core needed tools to run pre-post install
scripts need to be always present, and themselves cannot have those
scripts. (for now).

Rob