path_conv::check() gets confused by recently removed files

I guess that I found the complement of the following:

    http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2002-05/msg00008.html

while tracking down some regressions with Cygwin Python CVS. :,)

The attached test program, j7.cc, demonstrates the problem:

    $ >file
    $ j7 file
    dir

The root cause of the problem is that symlink_info::check() ignores the
ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED case in the following:

    fileattr = GetFileAttributes (suffix.path);
    if (fileattr == INVALID_FILE_ATTRIBUTES)
    {
      /* The GetFileAttributes call can fail for reasons that don't
         matter, so we just return 0.  For example, getting the
         attributes of \\HOST will typically fail.  */
      debug_printf ("GetFileAttributes (%s) failed", suffix.path);
      error = geterrno_from_win_error (GetLastError (), EACCES);
      continue;
    }

The above causes path_conv::check() to the lop off the tail component of
the recently deleted file so that path_conv::fileattr incorrectly
indicates a directory instead of a file.  This in turn, causes fstat()
to incorrectly indicate that the file descriptor is a directory instead
of a file.

Unfortunately, once again I do not know the best way to fix this
problem.  Should fstat() (and cousins) just return EACCES in this case?

BTW, this would fix the Cygwin Python regressions:

    static PyFileObject*
    dircheck(PyFileObject* f)
    {
        struct stat buf;
        if (f->f_fp == NULL)
            return f;
        if (fstat(fileno(f->f_fp), &buf) == 0 &&
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

            S_ISDIR(buf.st_mode)) {
            char *msg = strerror(EISDIR);
            PyObject *exc = PyObject_CallFunction(PyExc_IOError, ...
            PyErr_SetObject(PyExc_IOError, exc);
            return NULL;
        }
        return f;