Re: acl_access denies access owned by 'Everyone' group

Hi!

Friday, 23 August, 2002 Corinna Vinschen vinschen@redhat.com wrote:

CV> On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 07:12:51PM +0400, Egor Duda wrote:
>> [...]
>> # owner: 1291
>> # group: 0
>> user::rw-
>> group::r--
>> mask::r--
>> other::---
>> $ grep Everyone /etc/group
>> Everyone:S-1-1-0:0:duda,duda_admin

CV> That shouldn't be necessary at all.  You can even drop Everyone
CV> completely from /etc/group with the current version from CVS.

CV> I don't know if it's clever to set group membership to Everyone
CV> since that's the ACL entry which is evaluated as POSIX "other".
CV> I never tried it (I didn't even have the idea to do that).
CV> Anyway, it's really wrong what you're doing.  Pierre's changes
CV> eliminated the usage of Everyone as a group.  In that light I'd
CV> say, yes, it's a result of Pierre's changes and it's correct.

It may be silly thing to do, but such layout might been created by
native tools, isn't it? Of course, i've removed 'Everyone' group and
have changed permissions and everything works ok. But i suppose there
may be some confusion after new release.

'id' doesn't show 'Everyone' indeed, so, formally, user 'duda' doesn't
have access when we follow standard unix semantics. Here we have a
difference between unix and nt notion of access rights. I know that
it's hard or impossible to map unix semantics to nt 1:1. Is it one of
the cases which better left different?