Re: Issue with cygwin_daemon merge

On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 07:16, Conrad Scott wrote:
> "Nicholas Wourms" <nwourms@netscape.net> wrote:
> > Wouldn't it just be easier to use "-x foo.h -x foe.h -x
> > fum.h" type arguments with cvs diff to generate a patch
> > without these headers?  Then you could adjust the includes
> > in the source file(s) in a seperate checkin.
>
> I assume you're referring to the original issue of how to merge the
> branch into the HEAD?  But for that, there are changes to these very
> headers too that I need to merge; and I'd also prefer to do the merge as
> a single commit rather than in stages (this avoids leaving the
> repository half-broken and also might make the history rather clearer
> for those who follow on afterwards).

Conrad,
CVS is only atomic on single directories. So changes to include/sys and
include/cygwin will not be identifiable as a single commit anyway.
Secondly, as long as you are quick abou whatever you're doing, a -D
based diff will get the full set of changes.

Lastly, I don't understand the problem - you want HEAD to look like
cygserver right?
run
cd cygserver-source-dir
cvsmkpatch HEAD > mypatch
vim mypatch and review
cd cygwin-HEAD-dir
patch -p0 < mypatch
cvs -z3 ci

That should handle file renames and deletes seamlessly.

Rob