Re: Avoiding /etc/passwd and /etc/group scans

On 23 Oct 2002, Robert Collins wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 07:19, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > >- Do the modes depend on the value of ntsec when setup is run
> > >  (e.g. inheriting from the directory)?
> >
> > Nope.  setup isn't a cygwin app, so...
> > cgf
>
> And because ntsec wasn't the default we couldn't set reasonable acls...
>
> Here's a short term workaround, until we fix setup.exe.
>
> Add a .bat file as a postinstall script that scans the cygwin tree and
> sets executable rights to .exe and .dll files using the cacls command.
>
> Rob

You should be careful of pre-existent files.  The user may have set their
permissions to non-executable on purpose, and will be surprised if they
suddenly become executable.  It would be safer if the postinstall .bat
file only affected the executables that setup has just installed.  I know
this is against the general principles of setup, but could it, perhaps,
generate that .bat file?  Another possibility would be doing this only for
new installs, although I'm not quite sure how to detect this within
either setup or the postinstall script...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Water molecules expand as they grow warmer" (C) Popular Science, Oct'02, p.51