Re: uid > 64k

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 12:50:01PM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> >Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >
> >> Couldn't you just keep track of the uids and ensure that you didn't
> >> duplicate any?
> >
> >Yes, absolutely.
> >However there is no guarantee that users won't call separately mkpasswd -l
> >and mkpasswd -d, or another mkpasswd -d other_domain, or mkpasswd -d -u
> >It would be desirable to return the same uid in all these cases.
>
> But why not just record whatever is already in /etc/passwd?  Subsequent calls
> are just going to be appending to it, right?

Right. It's quite doable. However making it work flawlessly is a significant job
that will soon be obsolete within a few months.
I can whip a 5 line patch to mkpasswd that will work almost all the time,
(I would bet we will never see a complaint) and avoid the worst kind of aliasing
that can occur today. For example adding 10000 to domain users can wrap around to
18 or 544, or to a local user. It just doesn't seem to happen.

Pierre