Re: cygwin-developers archive password protected

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I hope I have just received my last personal email message regarding
> something in the cygwin-developers archives.  I've added password
> protection to the archives.
>
> If you want to refer to the archives, your username is the email address
> where you're receiving this message (look at the List-Subscribe in your
> header).  The current password is cygdev41
>
> Maybe I'll grow to regret this decision but, for now, I'm hoping that it
> provides one less cygwin irritant.  I expect that we will no longer see
> people cutting and pasting from the web into the cygwin mailing list
> either.

I read cyg-dev via the archives for about a year, before being invited to
join. It was a very useful and interesting source of information.

Already, we have some postings on cygwin@ from the understandably miffed,
and even a workaround for access by ftp.

Obviously, Chris being swamped in personal mail is intolerable, but perhaps
there is another way to prevent this, whilst still preserving access for the
interested-and-untroublesome people?

What about this?: Set up a cygwin-developer-user-interface list. I, and any
others who are willing, would join this, and respond to posters there. Users
would be told to post there by large (100 point? :-) text, placed as header
and footer on every page within the cyg-dev web archives.

If this proves to still not be enough, restore the passwording, but permit
people to apply for access, and accept people only when they have
demonstrated non-newbieness on cygwin at  dot

Max.