Re: cygwin-developers archive password protected

On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 11:07:35PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> I'm not interested in opening up another cygwin list where people can
>> send "I can't resize setup.exe under cyg!" complaints.  They can use the
>> cygwin list for that.  I have zero confidence that any other list that I
>> set up would not be abused so I'm not (with maybe one exception) going
>> to be setting up any new cygwin lists anytime soon.
>>
>> The one possible exception might be that I think maybe cygwin's setup
>> needs a list of its own.  I'd be willing to do that.
>
>Um? What has setup.exe to do with this?

That was exactly my point.  If we create another public list, the flocks
will move there.  They will complain about setup.exe.  They will
complain about gcc.  I *know* this will happen because I still get
subscription requests for cygwin-developers from people who want to talk
about gcc problems.  And, they still get irate when I tell them that
isn't the intent of the group.

>I think it is a reasonably safe way of eliminating bother for you and
>maintaining public access.

I don't see how it would be any more useful than the cygwin mailing list.
I guess it could be lower traffic but I suspect it wouldn't be lower noise.
It is not a group that I would be interested in subscribing to, fwiw.