Re: New release time?

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:33:52AM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 10:55:05AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> Why does it matter if a package maintainer does things quickly or not?
> Things will still work.  The answer just changes in the cygwin mailing
> list from "It's not possible" to "The package maintainer needs to rebuild"

It matters mostly for the uid/gid problem.  A uid of 65536 is returned
as uid 0 by getuid().  ls and id will print wrong uids and gids for
ids >64K.  sshd will refuse logins.  That sort of stuff comes to mind.
I'm just trying to overcome this sort of problem as soon as possible.

> I am sure a lot of packages are sans maintainer.  I agree that we should
> ask people to rebuild but, again, I don't think it's urgent.

6 months?  As I said, I think it should be done quickly for a bunch
of applications and I know I will rebuild my stuff soon.

> However, I think I'll go bump the version to 1.5.0 now.  What the heck.

Fine, thanks.

Cygwin Developer                                mailto:cygwin at cygwin dot com
Red Hat, Inc.