Re: pipe replacement w/o TerminateThread

On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 01:16:32PM -0400, Joe Buehler wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
>>So that native windows processes will never be able to use cygwin pipes.
>
>Sigh.  Which means there is only one alternative left --
>REPLACE THE PIPE FUNCTIONS IN WINDOWS.

How about encapsulating windows processes in a shell that converts
cygwin pipes to windows handles?  Nearly everything I run from a
shell in windows is a cygwin app.  The rest launch their own windows
and don't expect input from stdin or print to stdout.   So, having
some crazy overhead to launch a rare windows console app wouldn't be
a big loss, compared to the win of having robust ttys and pipes.
Taking it further, perhaps a lot of the fork weirdness could be stuffed
into the windows 'special case' shell.

I'm not actually suggesting that this be done, since developer and
supporter time is in short supply.  I'm just curious if some
cygwin2 project would benefit from such an architecture.

-steve