Re: Added some interesting functionality to my cygwin sandbox

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:23:51PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 06:20:46PM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >I think I recall they have some fixed root level dirs like /windir,
> >/sysdir, /registry.
>
> We could do this in a cygwin post-install script if there is consensus
> that it would be useful.

That would involve symlinks to a path outside of the Cygwin root again,
which would be broken when the use changes the cygdrive prefix.

This reminds me, wouldn't it make sense to store the cygdrive prefix
inside of symlinks in a form which is independent of the actual
cygdrive prefix string?  I mean, instead of having a

  /cygdrive/d/foo

the symlink could contain something representing

  ${cygdriveprefix}/d/foo

In that case symlinks would still be valid if the user changes the
prefix or, worse, on a multiuser system where users have different
user cygdrive prefixes.

Red Hat, Inc.