Re: Cygdaemon - planning

cgf@redhat.com wrote:

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 11:17:54AM +0200, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

Do we want this?  Wouldn't it be better to have a separate export library
for the functions only available with cygserver?

In this scenario, we have always gone with "what does UNIX do?"  I think it
is pretty likely that the main users of this code will be existing programs
which expect not to have to look in other libraries to find Sys V shm and
semaphores.  So, putting the exports in some other library will result in
configury changes for existing programs which is something that cygwin
tries to avoid.

cgf

Since we have the ddk now, what about making Cygserver into a System Device Driver (sys) in the same fashion as the driver for ioperm() or WinPcap? Of course, this could easily open up another can of worms, but doesn't U/Win & SFU already do this? One could also considier the potential performance gains by going this route. It would be easier in that users wouldn't have to remeber to turn on server, but I suppose problematic in that we'd have to worry about a file installed outside of the traditional Cygwin tree.

Cheers,
Nicholas