Re: 1.5.0 release text

vinschen@redhat.com wrote:

On Fri, Jul 04, 2003 at 01:47:59PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:

This announcement should probably be accompanied with a detailed
description of what package maintainers need to do in cygwin-apps to
deal with 64 bit file I/O.  Anyone want to draft that?

I wrote down a start.  The description how the package maintainers
should work together to get new 1.5.0 versions done is still lacking
detail I guess.

  What is that 64 bit babble?
  ---------------------------

  Up to release 1.3.x, Cygwin had some limitations which were induced
  by too small datatypes:

off_t was 32 bit, so not allowing to seek more than 2 Megs and to
^^^^
show filesizes over 2 Megs correctly. This has been changed to
^^^^
64 bit, allowing to access all files correctly.

Don't you mean Gigs? Also, perhaps you might want to mention that this brings us into compliance with the LFS extension of the SuS. I'm used to using the 3 macros -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE, -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE, -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS? with linux, but I take it that this is handled transparently in Cygwin [iff you are using the latest headers and dll]? I want to be clear on this so that I can release updated packages as soon as the new dll hits the mainstream. Unfortunately, I do not have 2gb free to be able to test it out for myself...

Cheers,
Nicholas