RE: WININET not on NT4?

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jan 13 06:06, Brian Dessent wrote:
>> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>
>>> Per MSDN, wininet.dll should be available on NT4 so I'm wondering if
>>> my system is just broken, or if wininet.dll is NOT available on NT4
>>> in contrast to MSDN's description.
>>
>> Hrm, that sucks.  MSDN seemed pretty clear that it should be there on
>> everything back to 95/NT4.
>>
>>> Brian, since you created this functionality, would you mind to look into
>>> dynamicalize (urgh) the wininet function calls *iff* necessary?
>>
>> Certainly.
>
> Thanks.  I'm really at a loss right now.  I examined the original NT4
> installation CD from.... well, last century, and there are no traces of
> any WININET.*  OTOH, The file WININET.DLL is certainly on the Service
> Pack 6a CD.  But the machine claims to have SP6 installed...  Anyway, I
> just copied the WININET.DLL over to my NT4 system and cygrunsrv still
> doesn't work because WININET.DLL requires SHLWAPI.DLL which is also
> missing on my system, and which is *not* on the SP6 CD :-(((

> Nevertheless, if somebody could enlighten me and the whole Cygwin
> universe what's right or wrong on NT4 with respect to WININET.DLL, don't
> be shy.

  Hey, isn't it likely that wininet and shlwapi were originally distributed as
part of the Internet Explorer distribution, sometime back in win95/IE3
days[*], and that's why it isn't on the OS cd?

    cheers,
      DaveK

[*] - Some of our younger readers may find it hard to believe, but there once
*was* a time when IE wasn't part of the OS...