Re: The GetCommandLine/WinMain "problem"

cgf wrote:
What we could do is export versions of these in libcygwin.a (not
necessarily in cygwin1.dll).  A Cygwin version of GetCommandLine[AW]
would concatenate the contents of __argv and return a string.
GetEnvironentVariable could do the same thing.

Seems reasonable.

This is a radical departure from our previously stated goal of "newer
cygwin's always work" but, frankly, I'm getting very tired of hearing
how slow cygwin is (read the git mailing list sometime) and I am even
more tired of making accommodations which slow things down for people
who are using Cygwin in ways that aren't in line with it's stated goals.

Huh? ...parse error...

I assume you mean "I am even more tired of making accomodations for people who are using Cygwin in ways that aren't in line with it's stated goals -- especically when those accomodations slow things down for everyone else."

Does anyone think that requiring people to relink their apps if they
want to use these Windows-isms is a very bad idea?

Since WinMain is usually provided by the app (and all the stuff in my /usr/bin is stripped so the WinMain symbol is invisible objdump) I figured the 'GetCommandLine' import was a useful proxy to look for "bad" cygwin programs:

for fn in *.exe ; do \
  (objdump -p $fn | grep GetCommandLine) | sed -e "s/^/${fn}: /"
done

I ran this in my /usr/bin and /usr/X11R6/bin directories -- and I've got a fairly comprehensive cygwin installation -- and all I came up with were
run.exe
checkX.exe (my new utility in rxvt-unicode-X)
tclsh[84].exe
wish[84].exe

cgf, since you maintain the tcl/tk stuff, you've got as big a stake in this as ago and I put together...bigger, 'cause run and checkX are tiny little utilities.

I'd like cygwin programs to
just not worry about the windows command line (or windows environment
variables) at all.

The only progs who really should care are those that are explicitly doing something funky with process creation and console manipulation (like run and checkX) or are pretending to be native programs anyway (like tclsh and wish).

--
Chuck