Re: failed to build cygwin with itself

zooko wrote:

> Recently I patched what I think is a bug in poll(), and I want to
> test my patch before reporting it, but when I follow these instructions:
>
> http://www.cygwin.com/faq/
> faq.programming.html#faq.programming.building-cygwin

I don't think this is the right mailing list to ask for help with a
simple task like building Cygwin.  The main list is the place for that.

> Grep tells me that __assert_func appears in the following places:
>
> -------
> $ grep -r assert_func .
> ./winsup/cygwin/assert.cc:  __assert_func (file, line, NULL,
> failedexpr);
> ./winsup/cygwin/assert.cc:__assert_func (const char *file, int line,
> const char *func,
> ./winsup/cygwin/ChangeLog:      * assert.cc (__assert_func): New
> function, to match newlib header
> ./winsup/cygwin/ChangeLog:      * cygwin.din: Export __assert_func.
> ./winsup/cygwin/cygwin.din:__assert_func SIGFE
> -------
>
> A glance at assert.cc shows that __assert() calls __assert_func(),
> but that __assert_func() is not declared until after __assert() is
> defined.  What gives?

You're looking in the wrong place.  __assert_func() is declared in
newlib/libc/include/assert.h which is included at the top of assert.cc.
Maybe you don't have a working tree, maybe you didn't run configure
correctly -- you'd need to provide more details.

Brian