Re: New API call for path conversion

According to Eric Blake on 2/22/2008 6:55 AM:
  ssize_t cygwin_conv_path (cygwin_conv_path_t what, const void *from,
                            void *to, size_t size);

I like the name,

>> This doesn't cover path list conversions so far, of course. They could >> probably just use equivalent cygwin_conv_path_t values.

On second thought, when I see path, I think path list (POSIX defines 'path' as a single file name, but the GNU Coding Standards frown on that definition as it is often confused with $PATH). cygwin_conv_name doesn't quite work either (POSIX defines 'name' as a component in the middle of a path that doesn't contain a directory separator). cygwin_conv_file implies that the name maps to an existing file, which is not necessarily the case. Maybe cygwin_conf_file_name for one, and cygwin_conf_path_list for multiple?

At any rate, a rose by any other name is still a rose - as long as the names of the single vs. list converters are justifiable, and the semantics are documented, I'll live with it.

Eric Blake ebb9@byu.net