Re: Filenames with Win32 special characters (or: Interix filename compatibility)

On Mar 12 15:44, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> More crap.  I tried all the different space characters from 0x2000 up
> to 0x200b, the latter one promisingly called "hair space".  All of them
> are printed as box character in Explorer.  Sigh.

I just applied a preliminary patch which transforms the invalid file
chars to the 0xf000 unicode page and back again.  This patch also
disables the old code which handles managed mounts and replaces it
with also moving uppercase chars to the 0xf000 area on a managed mount.

I just ifdef'ed out some code instead of removing it, should we decide
at one point to revert this stuff.

It appears to work fine, but, of course, it breaks existing managed
mounts for now.  Converting file names in a managed mount from old style
to new style should be rather simple using a script, though.

Have fun testing,
Corinna

P.S.: Using backspaces in filenames is still not possible.  If we want
      that, we would have to disable to use Windows path names as input.
      Rather, you would always have to use cygpath for the Win32->POSIX
      path conversion first.  I'm all for it, but I assume we would have
      a lot of really screwed users...