Re: console flashing, again

On Jun 17 00:35, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 08:49:39PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> >One of the changes between 1.7.0-16 and -17 reintroduced a lot of
> >console flashing.  I noticed it most when using emacs under X, when
> >invoking non-cygwin processes.  I haven't had time to try and narrow
> >down to a particular commit, but wanted to flag the issue while I try
> >to investigate.
>
> It's probably because of the removal of set_console_state_for_spawn -
> the very last entry in the ChangeLog.  Corinna and I were wondering if
> that would have negative consequences and, well whaddaya know?
>
> The fix is simple but it's too late for me to do it justice tonight.
> I'll get to it tomorrow.

Ok, I'll not touch it in the meantime.

However, I don't quite get it.  When you start a non-cygwin app from a X
app, shouldn't this start in an invisible console?  CreateFile("CONIN$")
shouldn't create a console by itself at least.  But why should setting
the console mode bits for input having anything to do with that?!?

Puzzled,