Re: Longstanding __USE_W32_SOCKETS hiccup.

Larry Hall (Cygwin Developers) wrote:

> Perhaps I'm out of place but I'm wondering if the question here isn't
> "what does the ada compiler do?" but rather "do we want to permit silent,
> uninformed use of winsock?"

  #defining __USE_W32_SOCKETS is the application programmers' way of claiming to
be informed and ready to deal with the consequences.  It requires positive
action.  You question is really about whether we should have a #error in
winsock2.h when __CYGWIN__ and not __USE_W32_SOCKETS.

>  If the answer to the latter question is no,
> then it seems like the ada compiler should be more explicit about what it's
> doing and no change should be made in Cygwin.  If the answer is the latter,
> then one of the proposed solutions makes sense.  Taking this one step
> further, Dave, is there a reason ada couldn't be taught to make its design
> intent explicit?

  It needs to define __USE_W32_SOCKETS.  And doing so needs to permit it to
include both winsock2.h and sys/types.h

    cheers,
      DaveK