Re: The old $LANG-in-a-box trick (was Re: X11R7.5 and C.UTF-8)

Ken Brown wrote:
On 12/3/2009 3:15 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
2009/12/3 Corinna Vinschen:
In theory we could use it in /etc/profile.d/lang.{c}sh:

/etc/profile.d/lang.sh:

test -z "${LC_ALL:-${LC_CTYPE:-$LANG}}" && eval $(getlocale -U)

/etc/profile.d/lang.csh:

if ( $?LC_ALL == 0 && $?LC_CTYPE == 0 && $?LANG == 0 ) eval `getlocale -cU`

If that's desired, I could easily create a getlocale package for the
Base category.

It's very tempting, but I'm not sure. A couple of issues to consider: - The setting is too late for terminal and shell, but then again, do any of them care about the language setting (rather than the charset)? - It would change the UI language of localized apps. I'd guess most users would welcome programs speaking their language, but some would complain loudly and demand to know how to get back to English.

You could put something like the following in the default .bashrc:

# Set the language for locale-aware applications to US English...
# export LANG=en_US.UTF-8

# ...or to UK English
# export LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
or to ... (100 other options).
But which of them? That's just the issue that the getlocale proposal is trying to address.
Thomas