Re: 1.7.1 release date?

Brendan Conoboy wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>> How does it know /which/ setup.ini file to download if you don't have
>> two separate versions?
>
> I believe all Corinna meant is that if the ini filenames remain the
> same, new executables don't need to be generated to accommodate renaming
> the directories (release->release-legacy, release-2->release).

  Ah, of course, that makes perfect sense.

> Personally, I think renaming release-2 to release is asking for months
> of "why did my X break?" type messages.

  This is also one of my prime motivators for considering in great depth how
we manage this transition and being cautious.  That, and also the fact that
pretty much every time I've ever thought something wouldn't matter and we
could "get away with it" I've turned out to be wrong.

> My interest?  I mirror the Cygwin repo for Red Hat's internal purposes.
>  If you do the rename I'll need to update a few scripts.  That's not a
> big deal.  As a long-time release engineer, however, the idea of the
> rename gives me pause.

  :) Been there, done that.  The pain is always worth it in the end - but
people need the facility to stage and control it.

  Hence why I suggested that a solution would be for there to be a warning
dialog in the new setup.exe that makes absolutely sure the user understands
that they are doing a major version upgrade, and for (unlike all other
dialogs) not defaulting that particular one to "OK" in unattended mode.

    cheers,
      DaveK