Re: crossbuild cygwin-1.7.6-1 on linux x64

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 09:14:44AM +0800, Chiheng Xu wrote:
>On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 2:29 AM, Alexandre Girao <alexgirao@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> ?? ?? ?? ??After a great struggle (and lots of googling around) i finally
>> compiled cygwin1.dll on
>> ?? ?? ?? ??linux and tested in a win32 environment, the process wasn't
>> straightforward but it worked.
>>

>I am very glad to hear that someone else on the planet is also
>interested in this area.

Huh?  At least two people here routinely build cygwin on linux.  The
release itself is built on linux.

>I have not read you mail thorougly.
>
>Basically,  if you try to cross build cygwin1.dll, you will face a
>chicken-egg problem. Because the Cygwin DLL configure & build
>procedure require that you have a working cygwin1.dll and its headers,
>libs, and a working compiler.

You don't need a cygwin dll to build cygwin on linux.  The build is
intended to be self-contained.  It was built on linux pretty much
from day one before there was a working compiler for Windows.

>The configure scripts try to generate executable to verify that the
>comipler works, but this is impossible for an cross build.

If you've given the proper command line arguments to configure, the
cygwin configure script does not try to generate an executable.  Or,
rather, if it does, that's a bug.  You *do* need to have a working
cross-compiler though.  It's been a while since I had to bootstrap one
but I know it isn't terrifically difficult if you understand
cross-compilers.  I suspect that isn't the case for you and this isn't
the mailing list to learn how to build one.

>Last year, I also tried to build cross toolchain for Cygwin in Linux,
>I hacked the configure scritps and Makefile.ins in source of Cygwin
>DLL to get rid of uncessary component. At last, I got a cygwin1.dll,
>But I could not  build remaining part of gcc, the reason is unknown.

Since cygwin1.dll is not really part of gcc, it seems that you're
confused about what needs to be done.

>If you have interests, you can study the build procedure of MinGW cross
>toolchain.
>
>Last year, when I tried to cross build Cygwin DLL and glibc of Linux,

If you're trying to build glibc on Cygwin then, yep, it's possibly a
problem.  There is no reason to equate that with your inability to build
cygwin on linux.

>I suspect that, the difficulty of cross building of them is
>intentional.  Red Hat seems to have no ideas of cross build in mind.
>They seems to have fear if someone can cross build system library and
>OS kernel in an platform other than Linux.

That is utter nonsense.  Before you cast aspersions like this you really
need to make sure you know what you're talking about.  And, you don't
know what you're talking about so you shouldn't be casting aspersions.

If you want to lurk on this mailing list that's fine but I don't want to
go down a rat hole of finger pointing and misinformation.  Perhaps you
should take this discussion to the cygwin list.  This type of thing is
more appropriate there.