Re: strange crashes on invocation

On Sep 27 18:32, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> At 07:39 AM 9/27/2010, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >On Sep 26 16:38, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >> Btw., with horror I realized that our dependency to advapi32.dll also
> >> adds an indirect dependency to msvcrt.dll.  For some reason I don't
> >> understand yet, it's not possible to convert the advapi32 entry points
> >> to all autoloaded entry points.  Many Cygwin applications don't start
> >> anymore, for instance mintty or gdb.
> >
> >I found the reason why it's not possible to convert advapi32 to a
> >autoload DLL.  The problem is a SEGV in the advapi32 function
> >GetUserNameW.  For some reason advapi32 crashes in that function if the
> >application is loadtime linked against advapi32.  Cygwin calls
> >GetUserNameW in cygheap_user::init, which is called during Cygwin DLL
> >initialization.  Apparently there's some sort of synchronization
> >problem.
>
> Why do we need the user name so early? Does it date back to Win95 when the user
> shared was using the user name ? For the user fstab, it could be
> legitimate to insist
> that the passwd entry exists.

Good point.  OTOH, fetching USERNAME from the environment might not be
as bad as I thought at first.  cygheap_user::init is only called when
started from a native process.  Since USERNAME is usually set, we get a
valid user name which can be used as Cygwin user name if passwd is
missing.  And, in the unlikely case that USERNAME is not set *and*
/etc/passwd is missing, we just don't read the user fstab, as you
suggest.  Does that sound feasible?