Re: RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

On 27 June 2011 04:08, JonY wrote:
> I was thinking that 64bit Cygwin will be installed in a completely
> separate directory so there is no chance in clobbering 32bit Cygwin
> DLLs, like a parallel 1.5/1.7 install.

A clean cut would be ideal, but I fear it would also greatly delay the
project, because a large number of packages would need to be ported
before the 64-bit distro would become viable for users. Supporting
both 32-bit and 64-bit processes and having them interact seemlessly
could avoid that.

This doesn't meant that Cygwin 2 (to coin a handle) still has to be
installable on 32-bit systems, i.e. that 64-bit applications wouldn't
still need 32-bit versions as well.

The situation is different with libraries, where the 32-bit versions
would need to stick around as long as there are still 32-bit
applications using them. Could this be handled with ABI bumps, so for
example libncurses10 would remain 32-bit, but libncurses11 would be
64-bit? I think this would fit into the existing packaging
infrastructure.

Andy