Re: Re: RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

On 2:59 PM, Andy Koppe wrote:
> The situation is different with libraries, where the 32-bit versions
> would need to stick around as long as there are still 32-bit
> applications using them. Could this be handled with ABI bumps, so for
> example libncurses10 would remain 32-bit, but libncurses11 would be
> 64-bit? I think this would fit into the existing packaging
> infrastructure.

Doing this would imply a permanent cessation of support for 32bit
ncurses.  If you ever needed to bump the ABI for ncurses on
32bit...you're stuck.

So, one alternative is to "leave room" -- bump ALL ABIs by 10 or so, for
the 64bit versions.

Now go ask Yaakov if he'd like that "solution" for the entire gnome
stack -- where you have to know the DLL name, including the ABI#, for
all the various dlopen() calls...

Yaakov's already annoyed at me for the inequality between "standard" ABI
version numbers and our cygwin ones, which are sometimes different due
to historical accident or error, but we are now stuck with them.

--
Chuck