Re: RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

On 02/07/2011 1:21 PM, Earnie wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
[SNIP] Hey, Yaakov -- what about this wild idea:  What if,
cygwin64-1.dll's implementation of dlopen() -- and remember,
cygwin64-1.dll can only be linked/loaded by a 64bit process --
automatically translated all attempts to dlopen
.../path/to/cyg*.dll to FIRST attempt to open cyg64*dll, then (if
cyg*dll was actually 64bit, rather than the expected 32bit) fall
back to the specified name?
I'm wondering why we didn't do this in the first place?  In theory
there's nothing which speaks against dlopen("/path/to/libfoo.so") to
check for valid combinations:

- /path/to/libfoo.so - /path/to/libfoo.dll - /path/to/cygfoo.dll (32
bit) or /path/to/cyg64foo.dll (64 bit)
When I was reading Yaakov's post I had the same idea.  It should ease
the pain for porting since there is no need for upstream packages to
have to make changes to accommodate the Cygwin specifics.
In my ignorance I always figured that's what was happening all along. What happens instead? It seems the #ifdef idea also doesn't happen?

BTW, we'd probably have to check the above list in reverse order, or risk opening the Windows-only libz.dll instead of cygz.dll.

Ryan