Re: RFC: Cygwin 64 bit?

They said that about Win9x, but they're still around :)

>> How many Fedora or RHE customers complain about /lib64?
>
> Right.  And, since we can't do that, the only alternative that I can see
> is to use something like cyg64.
>
> Unless we're talking about abandoning Cygwin 32 entirely, I think it
> makes sense to try to keep one c:\cygwin\bin .

Personally, I think its best to make it C:\Cygwin for 32bit and
C:\Cygwin64 for 64bit, development can go on in parallel.

The up side is that there is no need to fiddle with libtool prefix or
fix hard-codded libdir names to "lib64" (for non-autotools projects).
How long did it take for 3rd party programs to recognize Cygwin "Cyg"
prefix?

Well, your exe is either going to be 32bit or 64bit, it doesn't make
much sense to have both installed. There won't be much incentive to
install the other bitness library unlesss you specifically need it for
something else.

The downside is that there would be some lag-time from app
developers/owners to bring their apps over to 64bit. Of course, you can
still install 32bit Cygwin in parallel, they won't clash since it goes
to a different dir.