Re: 64 bit Cygwin target and _WIN64

3. In a core Mingw64 header:

     #ifdef __CYGWIN64__
     #define _WIN64
     #endif

This is basically what happens with _WIN32 and WIN32, right now, and the existing w32api headers (see windef.h). (And, when you talk of "Mingw64 headers" with regards to how a cygwin compiler would use them, you /must/ be talking about that portion of mingw64 that is "w32api-like" and not the parts that are "mingw-runtime-like" correct?)

So, I really don't see that this is any different than the current situation: if you #include any w32api headers, you need to be careful in your own code about #ifdef _WIN32, and guard it with && !defined(__CYGWIN__) unless you want those windows-isms -- and as good practice and for clarity, amplify with || defined(__CYGWIN__) if you really want those windows-isms, just so some well-meaning chap doesn't come along and "fix" it for you later.

I *wish* there was a better way, but at least this is no worse than status quo, wrt the current w32api headers.

--
Chuck