Re: New Cygwin family member

On Tue, 5 Feb 2013 21:04:11 -0500, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> On 5 February 2013 12:57, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Not at all.  For a start I'm planning to provide the toolchain patches
> > and a binary cross toolchain x86_64-pc-linux -> x86_64-pc-cygwin this
> > month.
>
> For us poor schmucks stuck in the 32-bit world, I'm hoping there will
> eventually be a 32-to-64 bit native cross compiler (i.e. a compiler
> that will run in 32-bit Cygwin that produces 64-bit Cygwin binaries)?

That will be possible as soon as the patches are released.

> I'm guessing we're a ways out from that point yet, but when we get to
> the point where Cygwin is officially offered in both architectures,
> will the ask be of the various maintainers to produce binaries for
> both (I personally don't mind as long as the tools exist to do it).

The problem is that not *everything* can be cross-compiled easily, if
at all.  Linux distributions generally use dedicated build
machines/farms (e.g. koji for Fedora) for this very reason.  This will
certainly need to be addressed when the time comes.

Yaakov