Re: Latest 64 bit test stuff on sourceware

On Feb 10 19:59, Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 9 February 2013 21:01, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > I just uploaded all the stuff I have 64 bit-wise to the sourceware ftp
> > area.  See ftp://cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/64bit/
> >
> > What you see there is this:
> >
> > - binary-toolchain-x86_64-pc-linux-x-x86_64-pc-cygwin-20130209.tar.xz
> >
> >     This >80 Megs archive contains a binary toolchain dir, representing
> >     the full cross-build toolchain for x86_64 Linux, targeting
> >     x86_64-pc-cygwin.  This toolchain allows to build 64 bit Cygwin as
> >     well as 64 bit Cygwin binaries.  Only C and C++ are supported as
> >     languages, since that's all I need.  libgcc and libstdc++ only exist
> >     as static libs so far.
> >
> >     After unpacking you get a directory called x86_64-pc-cygwin.  Assuming
> >     you install to /opt, just add /opt/x86_64-pc-cygwin/bin to $PATH and
> >     you should be all set.  Again, this is a toolchain only running on
> >     x86_64 Linux.  I'm using it on Fedora 17 right now.
>
> Great to see this. I tried building mintty with it. After a bit of
> makefile hacking I got it to compile, albeit a bunch of warning that
> I'll need to address. Linking failed due to undefined references
> select() and gethostname() though, so I guess they're not implemented
> yet?

It's a bug.  I noticed the same yesterday when I was trying to track
down a problem with an undefined gethostbyname symbol.  I found that
there are two problems.  In the first place I screwed up cygwin64.din
and a couple of symbols were missing.  But even if I fix it, I can't
use gethostbyname since the application doesn't start due to a missing
symbol.  Right now it *seems* that the 64 bit linker doesn't correctly
evaluate the `foo = bar' expressions in the .def file for somae reason.
But I'm still investigating.

> > - x86_64-pc-cygwin-binutils-20130209.patch
> > - x86_64-pc-cygwin-gcc-20130209.patch
> >
> >     These are the current patchsets to binutils and gcc, relative to
> >     current CVS/SVN HEAD.  The problem I described in my mail
> >     http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-developers/2013-02/msg00009.html
> >     is yet unsolved, but the required changes to gcc to support that
> >     scenario will be addresses by my collegue Kai Tietz within this
> >     month.
>
> Is it worth attempting to build the toolchain on current Cygwin?

I was going to ask, but it seems a bit early.  The above problem is
a real showstopper.