Re: [Cygwin64] dash segfault

On Mar 13 15:29, Peter Rosin wrote:
> On 2013-03-13 11:45, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Hi Peter,

> >> Ok, let's call it classes of symptoms then, because I don't know how
> >> to distinguish the different errors if there indeed are more than one
> >> error.
> >>
> >> The classes are:
> >>
> >> 1. crash into gdb, but limited bt info.
> >> 2. premature exit, no message, exit code zero (I think).
> >> 3. crash into gdb, but failing to attach to process.
> >> 4. premature exit, "Segmentation fault", exit code 0 (I think).
> >> 5. premature exit, "Hangup", exit code 0 (I think).
> >
> > I've just uploaded a cygwin-1.7.18-4 package to
> > ftp://ftp.cygwin.com/pub/64bit/release/cygwin, which is supposed to
>
> (that's ftp://ftp.cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/64bit/release/cygwin)
>
> > fix at least the worst of it.  WOuld you mind to give it a whirl?
>
> Might you have fixed all of it? No crap so far after three builds
> anyway, so, from here it looks like whatever you did for the 1.7.18-4
> update nailed it. Kudos!

Kudo's to Kai in the first place.  He was the one who suddenly realized
that a function call embedded into hand-crafted assembler code will
overwrite the arguments given to any arbitrary Cygwin function.
(Un)Fortunately the inlaid function isn't called very often so this
results in a kind of random pattern of unexpected arguments to a Cygwin
function.

> But wait, let's see how sending this mail affects things...

Yes, this is an important test.  The aforementioned patch was definitely
required, but there's probably more strange stuff lurking in dark
corners of the code...