Re: pdflatex errors in doc dir

Is it possible
to override the definition of the filename tag in our own stylesheet?

Yes, but to do that, you'd still have to switch from xmlto to xsltproc, since it would require that you create something like my fo.xsl.

You can't just stuff the customizations into the existing cygwin.xsl, since you'd affect HTML output, too.

It's not easy to do this: http://goo.gl/HKxcK

That's really not an option.  It's much too complicated

Really?

1. sudo yum install fop

2. Patch Makefile.in as given

3. cvs add fo2pdf fo.xsl

Done.

I don't
want us to rely on non-OSS software just to build the docs.

Where is this reliance?

Apache FOP is Apache 2.0 licensed.

FOP runs under Java, which is open enough that it's in Debian stable; and if that's not good enough, FOP also runs under GCJ, which is GPL'd.

(Yaakov's FOP packages run under GCJ since Oracle's JRE isn't packaged for Cygwin.)