Re: password expiration

Williams, Gerald S (Jerry) wrote:

Carlo Florendo wrote:

In UNIX/Linux, the 5th field for each entry for the shadow password
file has a field that indicates the number of days before a password
*must* be changed.

Does this mean that if I set the entry to 1 (one), will I have to
change the password every time before 1 day elapses? Or, does it
mean that I have to change it for the first time?

What does this have to do with hippos?

OK, seriously. Although the /etc/shadow format isn't necessarily the
same on all Unix systems, generally that would apply every time you
change the password. You'd have to change it every day. Unless there
is some magic to setting that to "1" that I don't know about.

gsw

I tested a system and it was exactly as you described! Thanks a lot.

Best Regards,

Carlo

--
Carlo Florendo