Re: Can cygwin be loaded and it's utilities be used on Unix

Dave Korn wrote:
----Original Message----

From: Dave Korn
Sent: 15 July 2005 13:20

----Original Message----

From: Danilo Turina
Sent: 15 July 2005 07:37

Lasse wrote:

Brian Dessent wrote:

Second of all, Cygwin is a
windows DLL.  There is absolutely no way to run it under Linux or any
other system that's not Windows, unless you are talking about WINE or
something.

Hmmm... Has any tried it? :-)

I would add some virtualization software in the mix (like WMWare) just to not make that simple (e.g. Windows 98 + WMWare + Linux + Wine + Cygwin).

Nah. I reckon we should develop a windows emulation layer on top of
POSIX. It could be called 'WinCyg'. Then we could run cygwin on wincyg
easily. It should be easy enough. As a first step, who feels like adding
autoconf target support to cygwin? When

[ ... hit send by accident, DOH! ... ]

 ... we've got cygwin running on cygwin, we'll be half way there.  Then we
just need to get windows running on windows and mix the two together!

    cheers,
      DaveK

At that point should be easy to produce a meta-emulation-layer software that, given two different API could produce the emulation layer to run one over the other (and viceversa).
Cygwin could be provided in the sample/ directory to show how easy would be to use that tool.