Re: Problem with sh/bash and snapshot cygwin1-20050825.dll

Eric Blake wrote:

> Because POSIX states that buf is indeterminate on error, and
> because Corrina's patch caused a regression (ie. 1.5.18 was
> setting buf[0] to 0 on error).  QofI states that we might as
> well make the indeterminate buffer useful, in case a user
> forgets to check the return value being NULL.

Ah yes.  But, if we want to follow the mantra of "we're just mean" then
obviously the buffer should be filled with a long string of obscenities
and insults on error condition.  The dirtier the better -- maybe
"/bin/fortune --nasty" could be called.  And without a terminating \0,
of course.

Brian