Re: Who hasn't been badly flamed?

On Tue, Sep 06, 2005 at 07:25:50PM -0700, Shankar Unni wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>I hate to say it but I don't remember ever being really flamed.
>
>(Not even by Gary R.  Van Sickle?  :-)

We were talking about other mailing lists, right?

>Anyway, I think that's because good flamers are (a) somewhat
>thick-skinned, and (b) recognize the intent behind other good flames.

I don't think that good flamers are thick-skinned.  IMO, it's probably
the opposite.  They have hair triggers and a lot of time on their hands.

>I get flamed on occasion in other newsgroups (heck, I've felt the sharp
>end of cgf's whip-cracks on occasion, too :-), and the only time I get
>bothered is if the flamer has misread my post and flames for the wrong
>reason (or ad hominem).
>
>(Oh, and "good flaming" is pretty much an American thing. I've just had
>to make a fence-mending visit to our offshore office to soothe feathers
>ruffled by my "constructive comments"..)

I wouldn't say that good flaming is an American thing.  You must not be
acquainted with Ulrich Drepper, the extremely able and often irascible
glibc maintainer.

I have a couple of other examples but Ulrich trumps them all...

Oh, all right.  I'll give you one more.  Linus Torvalds.  He's more than
capable of being very blunt in email.

It is funny sometimes what people consider to be a "flame".  Sometimes
people do rude or inconsiderate things which, while lacking any
vituperative language can, nonetheless serve as fodder for an aggrieved
reaction.  The original mailer can fall back on "I didn't say anything"
but, in reality, they are just trolls.  I think I'll take a good flame
over a troll any day.

cgf