Re: Proper distribution of cygwin-dependent software.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 03:48:12PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> >Sounds good to me, but you should public the mirror URL on
>> >http://www.singular.uni-kl.de.  If you have a traffic problem, feel free
>> >to add another note that "a lot of other mirrors exist using setup.exe,
>> >blah, etc."
>
>Urgh, sorry, that's not quite right.  When you only point to the mirror,
>you have the problem that the software you're using on the CD might
>not be available on the mirror anymore, since the maintainer(s) moved
>on and erased old versions.  In that case you're violating the GPL
>again.  So you will have to make sure that the sources of the versions
>used on CD are available regardless of the state of the mirror.

But what about -mno-cygwin?

What happens if you don't have enough space on the CD, huh?  Did you
ever think of that?

What about the little guy who's not in it for a buck?  Why are you
punishing him?  Why are you so cruel?

What if I bake the sources into a loaf of bread and then someone eats
the bread?  Do I have to give them more bread-with-sources?

What if I don't *want* to give people sources?  Are you going to track
me down and indict me?  Nyah, nyah, nyah!

How about if I put the sources on a CD, tie a string around the CD and
then put the CD just outside.  I'll put the binary CD on the ground next
to the sources CD.  I'll let people pick up the binary CD but when
people stoop to get the CD, I'll yank on the string and laugh.  Is that
covered by the GPL?

What about if I were to produce a CD for children?  Children don't know
what source code is!  Think of the children!

s/children/hippos/g

cgf