RE: once more unto the breech - please try a snapshot so I can release this thing

Christopher Faylor wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 09:32:24AM -0500, Williams, Gerald S (Jerry)
> wrote:
>> Eric Blake wrote:
>>> I hope you meant breach[1], not breech[2].
>>
>> Maybe he meant the back of the barrel, as in "we're getting ready to
>> pull the trigger".
>
> Actually, I had it as "into the breach" initially and then did a google
> search and found "unto the breech" so I changed it.  I should have just
> looked up the definition rather than trust random internet misspellers.

  You know, it occurs to me that the english language lacks - but could
greatly use - a word meaning

 "That especially embarassing combination of shame and humiliation you feel on
realising that your first instincts were absolutely sound and right and good,
and you surpressed them against your better judgement, and went and trusted
what others said, instead of your own good sense, only to discover in the end
that you were right in the first place and should have trusted and had faith
in yourself but lost confidence at the last moment and went along with the
consensus when you should have known better that YOU WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG
GODDAMMIT AND YOU ONLY MADE A FOOL OF YOURSELF BECAUSE YOU WERE TRYING TO BE
NICE TO OTHER PEOPLE AND ASSUME THEY WEREN'T ALL GODDAM IDIOTS JUST FOR ONCE!"

  ...excuse me, I think I was starting to shout a bit towards the end
there....

  Hey, Corinna, you guys invented "schadenfreude", surely /you/ must already
have a word for this emotion?

    cheers,
      DaveK