RE: once more unto the breech - please try a snapshot so I canrelease this thing

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Dave Korn wrote:

> Igor Peshansky wrote:

> >>   Actually I did repeat one once.
> >>
> >>   But fortunately that was in 1927, well before the invention of
> >> computers or the internet, so nobody noticed.
> >
> > What, you mean there was a time when mailing lists weren't archived?
> > Gasp!
> > 	Igor
>
>   Archiving was really expensive back in the old days... just six months
> worth of mail could easily occupy four or five pigeon lofts and require
> several dozen kilos of birdseed every day.

Hmm, I believe you're mixing your metafors here.  While the networking
protocol back then was "IP over carrier pigeon", pigeons weren't really
used for storage (today's equivalent would be creating a network loop to
store your data -- a needless waste).  Data storage was really
accomplished by either engraving on stone (for really persistent storage)
or via arrays of abaci (for random-access temporary data)...
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"