Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated [experimental]: findutils-4.3.0-1

According to Igor Peshansky on 1/18/2006 8:19 AM:

> Umm, yeah.  Looks like either the manpage needs to be updated (or my
> ingrained Unix reflex to go to the manpage instead of the info file is
> badly out of date).  If only we had a better info reader...

excerpts from 'man find' on 4.3.0-1 (ouch - how do you make man reformat a
listing to 70 columns, so that I can then paste it into my email without
ugly wrapping? I tried COLUMNS=70 man find, but to no avail):

       -readable, -writable, -executable
              Matches  files  which  are  readable,  writable  and executable,
              respectively.  This takes into account access control lists  and
              other  permissions artefacts which the -perm test ignores.  This
              test makes use of the access(2)  system  call,  and  so  can  be
              fooled  by NFS servers which do UID mapping (or root-squashing),
              since many systems implement access(2) in  the  client's  kernel
              and  so  cannot  make use of the UID mapping information held on
              the server.

       -perm /mode
              Any of the permission bits mode are set for the file.   Symbolic
              modes  are  accepted in this form.  You must specify 'u', 'g' or
              'o' if you use a symbolic mode.  See the  EXAMPLES  section  for
              some  illustrative  examples.  If no permission bits in mode are
              set, this test currently matches no  files.   However,  it  will
              soon  be  changed to match any file (the idea is to be more con-
              sistent with the behaviour of perm -000).

       -perm +mode
              Deprecated, old way of searching for files with any of the  per-
              mission  bits  in mode set.  You should use -perm /mode instead.
              Trying to use the '+' syntax with symbolic modes will yield sur-
              prising  results.   For example, '+u+x' is a valid symbolic mode
              (equivalent to +u,+x, i.e. 0111) and will therefore not be eval-
              uated  as  -perm  +mode  but instead as the exact mode specifier
              -perm mode and so it matches files with exact  permissions  0111
              instead  of  files  with any execute bit set.  If you found this
              paragraph confusing, you're not alone - just  use  -perm  /mode.
              This  form  of  the  -perm  test is deprecated because the POSIX
              specification requires the interpretation of a  leading  '+'  as
              being  part  of a symbolic mode, and so we switched to using '/'
              instead.

> Right.  I didn't mean "fully reuse the parsing code" -- more like factor
> out the parsing of the parts I mentioned, and use it from both -access and
> -perm...  But he's the maintainer, so it's his call anyway.  I'll post
> something (hopefully a patch) to that bug report a bit later, I guess.

Well, the parsing code comes from gnulib (it is also used by chmod, for
example), and was not really designed to be split out.

> Well, technically, hippos don't fall -- they get dropped...
> Who-o-o-osh...  *SPLAT*!

Or jump...

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!