RE: cygipc-1.13-2.tar.bz2 download

On 20 March 2006 17:11, Igor Peshansky wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, Dave Korn wrote:
>
>> On 20 March 2006 16:58, Igor Peshansky wrote:
>>
>>> Or, you could read the unsubscription instructions at the end of every
>>> message sent by the list manager program and/or at
>>> <http://cygwin.com/lists.html#subscribe-unsubscribe> and/or in the
>>
>>   To be fair, those instructions only exist for posts on the main
>> mailing list!  Maybe we should sort out a message footer for this list
>> as well.  Only with links to pictures of hippos and stuff instead of
>> documentation or problem reporting guidelines?
>
> Huh?  Pine shows me the following at the end of every message from *this*
> list:
>
>     [ Note: This message contains email list management information ]
>
> where "email list management information" is a hyperlink to the list of
> mailing list commands, one of which is "Select HERE to UNsubscribe.".

  It's interpreting the List-Xxxxx: headers and serving them up to you in a
cooked format.  There's nothing visible in the message body.  Pine is doing a
microsoft - trying to be too clever in protecting you from scary-scary
technical computer stuff like 'headers' by giving you a point-and-drool
interface that only succeeds in giving you false and misleading information
about the actual content of whatever you've been sent.  Sheesh, I know we want
OSS to come across all professional and that, but that's taking it too far!

> I don't know how these show up in other mailers, though...
> 	Igor

  Since there's no way to specify hyperlinks to collapsed/folded text in
plaintext emails, you could perhaps have deduced that what you were seeing had
to be an artifact or artificial construct of some sort.... don't you look at
raw message format all that often?

    cheers,
      DaveK